Grandmother Youree’s Christmas Day Rib Roast… updated. This easy roast cooks low and slow throughout the day. Enjoy with a nice Syrah.
Aspen Ridge, Natural, Dry-Aged, Prime Rib Roast (4-8 lbs)
- 8 Cloves Fresh Garlic
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Fresh Ground Pepper and Kosher Salt
- Preheat oven to 225 degrees F
- Bring roast to room temperature; this will take several hours.
- Grate garlic cloves with a microplane or use a garlic press and add the garlic to 3 Tablespoons of the olive oil.
- Coat roast with the olive oil and garlic mixture and then liberally coat all sides of the roast with Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. We use ¼ cup of each.
- Place roast, bone side down and fat cap up, on a roasting rack in a heavy gage roasting pan.
- Place roast into the 225 degree oven and cook until an instant read thermometer reads 120 degrees F for medium rare, 135 degrees F for medium. This will take 3-5 hours depending on the size of the roast.
- Remove the roast from the oven and cover with aluminum foil to rest. Let the roast rest for at least 30 minutes.
- Before serving, remove the foil and return the roast to a super hot oven (525-550 degrees F) for 8-10 minutes to brown the outside.
- Remove the roast from the oven, carve and serve.
Serve with Shelly’s own horseradish & roasted garlic sauce:(click through to recipe)