Here’s our tips for making the best skirt steaks. First, have your essentials handy (needed for cooking just about all steaks and burgers):
- Cast Iron Skillet
- Kosher Salt
- Instant Read Meat Thermometer
- Rub skirt steaks with your favorite seasoning mix or simply salt and pepper generously.
- Leave for 2 – 12 hours in the refrigerator gently covered.
- Take out of the fridge, pat dry with paper towel, let sit out gently covered for 45 minutes to come to room temperature.
- Butter up an iron skillet or pan.
- Put (empty) skillet on high heat on the stove or BBQ grill (lid closed on grill to heat pan).
- Throw seasoned skirt steaks in the pan (cook steaks with lid open on BBQ grill).
Steaks should be sizzling, check after 2 minutes.
You should see dark sear (crusty exterior forming) on meat that is face down on heat. Turn and cook just a few more minutes.
For a rare steak, remove from heat when your meat thermometer reads 115 degrees, let steaks rest 10-15 minutes. The temperature of the meat will rise to 125 degrees after resting.
For medium rare steaks, remove from heat at 125 degrees, skirts will come up to the desire 135 degrees for medium rare after they rest.
Pair with our Chimichurri.